Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Book

When I was a kid---13-odd years old-- I found a book in a forgotten corner of my home. It had a thick film of dust planted in its hardbound cover and the pages had adopted a tinge of pale yellowness. The book looked old by all means and I gathered that no one had turned its pages for a long time. The book was voluminous and so it dented whatever desire I had to read it. Nevertheless, I took a look into its pages. There were innumerable phrases of virtue in it written in a very soothing manner. The book was a modern English translation of some another popular book that was written in ancient English centuries ago. Though I can’t recall the exact words that I laid my eyes upon, one of those phrases read something like this:

The only way a man can be perpetually happy is by not handing over all the sources of his happiness to others.
I liked what I read and I have always tried to follow those providential words very passionately since then. I do concede that I have failed miserably few times while translating those words into action but the number of times I have succeeded ridiculously outnumbers those when I have conked out. By the way, when I got rid of dust that veiled the face of the book, it read “The Bible”.

4 comments:

Mridul Mohan Gupta said...

A nice set of anecdotes u hav penned down here! Jolly reading! Reminds me of the fantastic anecdotes from the good old Readers Digest.
Also, I've resumed blogging recently.. after a looong gap.. u might like to chek it out!

Unknown said...

looks like ur blog is gaining popularity. a few months back the page rank was 0 and now its 3

Abhishek said...

number of comments say otherwise...:)
I don't write for page rank, anyway..
These days, I am quite subdued in blogosphere. I can only hope that I will be more active from now on..

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?