Saturday, January 07, 2006

Love Proposal

It was pretty late in the night. All my family members were in sound sleep. But I was in no mood to sleep. I had to perform a Herculean task the next morning in the school. I had to propose a girl. I closed the door of my room, stood in front of the mirror and started rehearsing the lines I would be telling her the next day.

"I think I love you", I uttered with some confidence on my face.
"Nah, she would feel that I was too confused", I thought. I dropped that line. I started looking for a more appealing one.
"I love you since the very first day I saw you in the class", I spoke again, this time with a much more confident look on my face.
"No yaar, that's too conventional a line to say." I shouted in frustration. At the very next moment, I realized that it was already 1 AM and I must not wake anybody up. With that idea in back of my mind, I started my work again.
"Come on Abhieshek, I know you can do better", I told myself and went in front of the mirror again. I tried few more lines without any real success. But I had to prepare that ecstatic sentence for her. So I moved on.
"I am in love with you", I said to my image in the mirror, this time with a little sensual look.
"Now, that sounds much better", I thought.
"I am sure she would be moved by that sentence", I whispered, followed by a toothy smile. Satisfied with my line, I set the clock to ring at 6:30 AM and went to sleep.

It all started about two years back when she joined my school for her +2 study. Ours was the only school in the town for +2 studies and thus, every student in the town had to join our school after passing 10th board examination. It was the first day of the new session. I, along with my friends, was standing in front of our class, looking for the new girls who had taken admission in class 11. Girls came by and entered the class. After the arrival of every new girl, we friends looked at each other without any exchange of words. Those eyes were telling everything. After few minutes, we saw our class teacher walking towards our class. We quickly took our respective seats. The class started in a full fledged way. I turned my head towards my friend.
"None of the new girls is good looking. What do you say?", I asked him in a whispering voice. He nodded his approval with a disappointing look on his face.
"Sir, may I come in?", a feminine voice interrogated.
I, still in total disarray, tried to have a look from the corner of my eye at the person standing on the door. The girl looked a bit nervous, breathing fast with disjunctive sets of silky hair tangling over her shoulders as if she had hurried to reach the class in time. She entered the class and her innocent, dark eyes explored every corner of the class in search of a vacant seat.
"Why don't you occupy that seat?", the teacher asked the girl pointing his hand towards the seat just beside mine.
"There comes the girl", I whispered, with my eyes on the notebook and a sheepish smile on the face.The girl promptly occupied the seat.
"Excuse me", she said nervously bending towards me.
"Do you have an extra pen? I forgot to bring mine"
"You can use this pen. I do have one more", I said, shifting the pen I was writing with towards her. She smiled her thanks.
"Now I have nothing to complain about", I said, turning my head towards my friend.
"Meet me during the break. I will take care of you", he replied, showing his red, covetous eyes. I enjoyed that envious look on his face. But I knew I had had a tough time ahead. For the first few days, I didn't have too strong a feeling for her.But that incident proved to be the albatross around my neck. Every now and then, I was teased by my friends. Frequent quibbles about her left me speechless in front of them. And that resulted in the ontogeny of a soft corner for her in my heart. But I never accepted that in front of my friends, for that would have provided them an opportunity to get into the groove.

Time ran away, thick and fast. We entered into the last few days of our school life. But I could never ask her for friendship; leave aside a love proposal. Few hi-hello's with her, here and there, made me feel good about her. I used to observe her from a distance. I loved her every movement, the way she giggled over every joke, the way she tried to avoid eye contact when asked about her first crush, the way she madly turned the pages of the Mathematics book for formulae minutes before the start of an examination, the way she argued with the teacher for every single mark in the answer paper, the way she tried unsuccessfully to conceal her joy when praised for her good work. I loved her, I really loved her. I fantasized dating her, going out for dinner with her, talking to her for hours. I didn't know when and how I had travelled the journey of soft corner to infatuation, then to crush and eventually, to love.

I realized that I had just a handful of days remaining to let her know what I felt about her. But I had no clue about the way of doing that. I decided to go back to my friends, who, by that time, had read my feelings about her in my eyes, for some aid. They came up with the idea of proposing the girl. On the first hearing, I concluded that it was no better than a suicide attempt. But they tried their best to convince me and eventually, I agreed to give it a shot, whatever the result might be. They asked me to prepare the proposal sentence for her.

The clock rang just at the right time to wake me up. I hastily completed all my ablutions in the chilly winter morning. But I was not at all feeling cold in the heat of the situation.
"What's the matter? You look overexcited and hastened as well", asked my mother suspiciously on the dining table.
"There is nothing as such, Ma. Actually I have a class test today and I have prepared very well for it. That's why..", I replied, pretending everything to be quite normal.
I, probably, reached the school too early. Love can make a person do strange things. Finally the class started. I discussed my last night preparations with my friends. They praised the line I prepared for her. We eagerly waited for the lunch break. The bell rang and it was the break. She went out with her friend in the sun. We followed them to the huge grassy lawn. I had started feeling nervous.It was only then I knew why they said that tunnelling a mountain was an easier job than proposing a girl. My friends asked me to go to her.
"Her friend is also with her. How can I tell anything to her in front of her friend?", I argued.
One of the guys from our group called her friend and made sure that she was alone.
"Now everything is clear. Go there and tell her everything. I am sure her answer would be affirmative", my pal told me. But I was in no position to move. My legs were shivering.
"No, I am too nervous to say anything to her", I uttered with a disastrous look.
"Go!!", my friend shouted at me. I somehow gathered courage and slowly walked towards her.
She was glowing in the bright, sunny afternoon. I moved closer to her. She was standing alone, with folded hands, waiting for her friend.
"Hello", I said.
"Hello", she smiled.
"I wanted to tell you something", I spoke. The world had come to a standstill for me.
"Yes, please carry on"
I was so anxious that I forgot the line I was supposed to say. But I had to say something.
"As you know, we know each other very well", I said with my eyes firm on her face. She raised her eyebrows.
"I...I mean we are classmates since last two years", I stammered. I took one long breath.
"I just wanted to say that I am crazy about you. I liked you on the very first day you entered the class. I love you, I love you very, very much", I told everything I had in my heart in one breath. Her resplendent, bright face turned pale. She tried to avoid eye contact for a moment. She didn't know what to say. She took her time, fixed her eyes on my already nervous face and said in a convincing voice,-"Abhieshek, there is nothing wrong about what you feel about me. Infact, I respect your feelings. But I am sorry to say that I am not ready for any such relationship. I am really sorry. I hope you understand my position."
The bell rang once again. She started going back to the classroom. I felt as if it was the end of the world for me.
"I can't let her go like that", I told myself. I ran only to stop in front of her.
"Hey, wait for a moment. Give me two minutes. Can you?" I asked. She nodded.
"Thanks. OK, even if you didn't accept my proposal, it is perfectly fine with me. But can we be friends? I think we can be. What do you say?" I asked, forwarding my right hand towards her.
"We surely can be", she smiled and shook hands with me.
"Now you may go", I grinned, waving my hand towards the classroom. She chuckled and moved ahead. I kept watching her till she vanished into the classroom. I turned back towards my friends with a satisfied, joyous feeling in my heart. I loved the slow wind blowing through the lawn. My world started moving again. It was just the start of a new beginning for me...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

hey romeo, who was she?? good post, u r on a spree.

Anonymous said...

what is this?
saurav

Anonymous said...

what is this?
saurav

Abhieshek said...

Questions everywhere!!!
Everybody wants to know who she is. The latest post is a mixture of fiction and reality. Moreover, no fiction is all fiction.
Saurav seems to be a bit shocked! Don't worry Saurav, I will certainly let you know if something like that happens to me. Till then, I keep my fingers crossed.

Abhieshek

Nishant said...

Hi pd
It was awesome.....and i liked ur optimism , u ve represented a modern aashik and i really like it as a conventional majnu can not make it happen with tears and griefs . I am dead sure you ve made her ur girl, so buddy tell us about ur dates with her
Regards
Nishant

Anonymous said...

HEY..
tht ws really beautiful!!this is a feeling to be felt n cherished n putting ur thoughts n feelings into words makes it all the more clearer to urself..tht's my idea n i really admire wt u have written..:-)!!good post!!!
take care..
Nivanthee

uru said...

nah..dnt let the mystery out..i lv being in mystery.........theres smthing unusually captivating abt it.....well..beautifully written once agn straight frm da heart...!god bless...

Gadget King said...

What happened then on???? is there a next page to this blog. Please post. I am very curious to read waht next..

deepak said...

what a great proposal!!!!!!!!!!