Thursday, March 16, 2006

All's Well That Ends Well

Oh yeah, all’s well that ends well! That’s what I uttered when I went through my GATE result in the afternoon. The result was supposed to be put on the internet at 10 in the morning but I was in no position to keep myself awake till 10 AM after going through (yet another) night out.

Though I am only a third year student, I decided to write GATE when I heard my batch mates murmuring something about writing some examination. I moved towards them and asked what that buzz was all about. They told me that they were ambitiously looking forward to GATE this year only. Since I had no clue about their unusual decision, I asked them why they were so eager to write the examination this time around. And I was more than convinced after listening to the reply.

Yaar, agar is baar GATE clear nahin hua then we can get an extra chance to write the examination in our 4th year. Moreover, we will get an idea of the examination pattern this time”, one of my mates said.

The reply sounded logical to me. It’s amazing how ridiculously our mindsets have changed after our three year stay in IIT! There used to be a time when we easily and sometimes, humorously solved every question in almost every given book for JEE. And today, even an examination of far inferior quality sparks a blaze of diffidence and even, some scare in our hearts. I think I didn’t tell you the fact that this bunch of fools (including me) belongs to dual degree program of chemical engineering. That’s why we all are so concerned about our nice monetary scholarships during the fifth year of our stay in IIT.

Anyway, let’s come back to the GATE drama. So, we eventually decided to purchase GATE forms. But, my dear, nothing comes free of cost in this world. The next hurdle was to arrange an amount of Rs. 1000. My contacts all around helped me out yet again. It hardly took me two minutes or so to arrange that relatively small amount of money. I sound like some bhai in Mumbai. Don’t I? It is another matter that I haven’t paid back that amount to my ‘contact’ till now. I am planning to pay him back only when I get my first scholarship (lol). I hope he is not reading this. Hey reader, even today, I am need of some cash. Can you lend me few bucks? Please. I will return it back to you tomorrow, for sure.

I have this uncanny knack of deviating from the real matter. Sorry for that. Anyway, so the form was purchased and it was delivered at the GATE office on the evening of the scheduled deadline. I know I am among those impossible guys. There is no need to repeat that. Few more shocks are yet to come. Keep reading. After that evening, I had no clue about the date of examination. Life went on with usual ease and carelessness.

Abhi to bahut din baaki hain yaar”, we normally told each other. But, the irony is that time shrinks at impossible rate. Months reduced into weeks and weeks contracted into mere few days. It was time to purchase the book to prepare for the examination. I went to Bersarai, looked for a book that comprised last ten years’ question papers but the book wasn’t available in the bookshop. The guy in the shop told me to visit the shop on the next day. What the heck! Who cared to visit him again on the next day? Time was flying by and I was in my notorious I-don’t-care mood. Finally just five days were left and my mate shook me up.

Yaar, ab to sirf 5 din baaki hain. Ab to book khareed le. Fir saath mein padhte hain. Maine bhi abhi tak kuchh nahin padha hai. 2 log saath mein padhenge to kuchh kar lenge examination hour mein”, my mate told me. He tried his best to convince me.

It was time to purchase the book. I went to the shop again. This time, luckily (rather unluckily), I got the book. It cost me a hefty amount of Rs. 90. Goodness me, these books have turned so costly these days (lol). But only purchasing the book can’t serve the purpose; it has to be read as well. I brought it to my room and placed it nicely on the shelf and didn’t see it for next few days. Now it came down to the last night before the examination. I could feel the heat of the moment. I removed the dust from the cover of the book and solved question papers of last few years. In my case, the word ‘few’ means ‘two’. That was more than enough. Then, one of my friends signed into messenger and I can leave anything to talk to her. And I mean it when I say anything. Oopss!!! I talked to her for an hour or so and when I told her that I was supposed to write an examination the next day, I didn’t know that I was inviting an avalanche. She was all over me. So, I signed off after promising that I would study. I tried but you know, I couldn’t go on for too long. It was time for a break. I decided to go to sleep after playing a game of tennis on my computer. You can easily guess what happened thereafter. If you can’t guess, well, for your information, yours truly spent whole night playing games on the comp. Yes! I went for a night out. I know you are again pulling off your hair. But sorry, I can’t help. I am what I am (lol again).

Finally, the much awaited D-day arrived. (Was I really waiting for that day to come???) I woke everyone up. Usually, others wake me up but since I went for a night out, it was my turn to wake them up. Then we went out for a picnic..err…I mean for writing the exam. It was no less than the fun we usually muster during a picnic. All the examinees in the room allotted to me were at least 5 years elder to me and I looked like odd-man-out…may be, odd-child-out. The lady there for invigilation came to me and asked if I were in the correct place. I looked around and said that I was there for the examination only. She still couldn’t believe me. It was only when I showed her my admit card did she accept my words. It was quite humorous. While I was writing the examination, she came to me and told that I looked like an 18 year old baby. Baby??? How can she call me a baby? I really hated her words.

But I purposefully wrote during those three meaningful hours. I used all my pre-IIT problem solving skills, for I have hardly learnt anything in academics during my last three years’ stay in IIT. I came back to my room and I hoaxed some of my friends by telling that I didn’t turn up at all for the examination. Knowing the kind of guy that I am, most of the people believed me! Then, I cleared the fog. I had pulled their legs yet again.

Now, after getting the result, and after a comfortable success in GATE, I don’t regret my night out, my carelessness, my outspoken desire to talk to my friends. I know I don’t waste my time when I talk to my friends, when I go for a night out, when I show some carelessness. This is what I call ‘a careless care’!

Now I am planning to throw a party. Be there at time. I know you are wondering “where and when?” For the answer, contact me! Cheers!!!

0 comments: