Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Meet The Rockers

These days, a guy with hair long enough to shroud every square inch of his face and a strange beard on his chin (if his hair allows a glimpse) roams on the streets of IIT after midnight. He is not seen in the day because alcohol, doping materials and drugs generally take over him during daytime. He wears jeans that can accommodate the thick legs of an elephant. To make matters worse, his jeans is at least two feet longer than his own legs. Body builders holding mikes are printed on his every shirt. The back side of his shirt reads—I love Metallica. The body builders on his shirt have looks of a monster that would tear you apart if given a chance to come alive.

During night, the guy listens to rock music at full volume on his Altec Lansing 5-in-1 speakers and 1500 watts woofer, doesn’t let his neighbors sleep and occasionally comes out of his room to have a round of cigarettes and iced tea. That is the only time his neighbors manage to sleep. He is a rocker, I was apprized by one of my mates as we sipped cold coffee. Now I know why he looks so strange, I replied back with arced eyebrows and narrow eyes. Perhaps overwhelmed by the eminent praises he received from me, the rocker stared at us with eyes more close than open. Not interested, bhaisaab, we felt like saying. He kept staring. No words, nothing. Silence. Time refused to move forward. But irrespective of the ideas time had, I needed to move forward. Backwards, I mean. Time can wait. Scared by the look that was anything but polite, we hopped away from him. Looked like a beast. Didn’t he, I said after gaining a fairly safe distance from him. He looked more like a statue to me, my mate said. My heart was still pounding. They all look the bloody same, I was informed again. Thank you for the information. Hey, I spilled all my cold coffee, I cried with sheer pain. That rocker owes me some cold coffee rather than that cold stare.

I have never had a chance to know what rock music was before I entered IIT. I had heard that rock is another form of music—very lusty and magnetic. I dreamt of listening to rock during my pre-IIT days. I got through JEE and got my chance to know more about rock. By the time I listened my first rock, I despised why I dreamt such a nightmare. Man, you need to develop a taste for rock, my seniors who rendered immense love for rock, told me. OK, I will try to develop such taste, I thought. Three and a half years after listening to my first rock song, I have strict reservations against calling it music, let alone lusty and magnetic. I often see rock lovers playing virtual guitars, waggling their heads and extracting pleasure from it. Their fingers move so fast on their virtual guitars that they can put world’s leading guitarists on shame. The wagging of their heads is so severe that their brains come under serious threat of being blown out of the skulls. While listening to rock, they get as animated as a bull at the sight of some red cloth. When I asked one of the rock lovers if he really understood the lyrics, he answered—It’s not about lyrics, man. It’s about feeling. I am, perhaps, too numb to feel rock. My inability, I accept. Most of the guys who take pride in saying that they are lovers of rock music fail to understand the lyrics on their own. It is only after finding lyrics on internet do they understand what the singer is actually singing(singing or shouting??!?). I understand that love for a particular kind of music is not a slave of any particular language--An American, for instance, who might not know a single language other than English can find Ugandan folk music awesome. But for a person like me--naive and foolish if one finds joy in stating--an effort won't be made to love something. There are certain things that come naturally to people and mustn't be imposed. Music is one such thing.

I came across the same rocker the other night on the same place. He won’t spare me today, I thought. Hello man, how are you, he asked. I somehow managed to capture a glimpse of smile of his face enshrouded by long, dense hair. I am fine, I flinched. Want some cold coffee, an invitation from the rocker. Rockers are actually not so bad, I found my lips whispering.

11 comments:

Hameeduddin said...

Have a friend who claims Rock lyrics are 'literature' too, we disagreed but stayed friends.

They are a different kind. These rockers:)

Sneha said...

iam listening to a lot of new music these days, n rock is one new genre that iam exploring. yea, well chetan bhagat has made the floyd+vodka thing in the IITs and other instis pretty popular :)
well, it mustn't that bad, you know.. personal taste i guess. but there must be something to it since half the world is crazy about it!

Phoenix said...

hehe
thats a LOT of exaggeration dude

Nishant said...

well abhi , rock for me is invocation to god .i am not a crazy rock animal but i always feel the energy in it ,which exhales the negative attitue of mine .Rock for me to keep myself away from evils and you know me how much normal i am but i m in love with rock.

harshavardhan reddy said...

bro, m of ur kind. even i dont understand if ppl really cant find saner "music". n as u said...some of 'em jus manipulate their tastes for the sake of the world.

SANTHOSH said...

try metallica
and you'll start liking rock n roll

Abhieshek said...

@Shah of Blah
Somehow, I have never found myself compatible with them.That deafening noise makes me crazy.

@Sneha
Personal test--I surely agree. But the argument that something is good because half the world is being crazy about it doesn't appeal me.

@Phoenix
The 2 words in your comment that drew my attention were exaggeration and dude. I treid my best not to exaggerate and dude---wow, that's the first time I have been called a dude..:-)

@Nishant
Sorry but I feel it's the other way round.

@Harshavardhan
I, at last, found one guy who thinks more or less like me..:P

@Santhosh
Well, every rock band sounds same to me.:((

SANTHOSH said...

you mean metallica's rock n roll?
;)

Life Lover said...

I only listen to rock when I am getting late for work and need to really hurry up. Rock makes me wanna get ready reallyyy fast and get out of the home veryyyy fast since I can't tolerate it :p

Abhieshek said...

@Santhosh
I mean every rock band---be it Metallica, Linking park etc etc...sorry I don't know many names.

@Life Lover
Why didn't this idea strike me? Quite a nice ploy. I will try it some time!!:P

Laxmi said...

Rocks not just about head-banging and crazy weird things. It actually does make sense at times. If u know what to listen to. try listening to "Coming back to life" by floyd..